How Long Do Gold Plated Rings Last?
Fan of gold-plated rings but worried about their longevity? Worry no more! In this blog, we will discuss everything about how long plated rings last and how to extend their use without compromising the looks.
Before going into the details, let’s discuss gold. Why are we all fans of it, and is it really worth it?
Gold as Precious Material
Gold is a high-valued commodity that isn’t only used in jewelry but also as an investment asset that people buy to keep the value of their money. As such, gold is regarded as a sign of class and style, and wearing it improves any look.
This material has been used in jewelry-making for centuries now. Ever since people mastered fire and tools, apart from weapons, they created precious accessories women and men of the high class could wear and show their status.
Gold is so highly regarded as a material to create stunning jewelry from because of its longevity. Here are some benefits of investing in gold-plated jewelry and accessories:
- Of all materials, gold is the least susceptible to oxidation. This means your gold-plated jewelry will not change its color or lose shape due to wearing it. Of course, you need to take care of your gold pieces, such as not exposing them to sweat or wearing them to the gym where they could get damaged. Still, gold is significantly more durable than aluminum, copper, and other materials used to make jewelry with proper use.
- Gold does not tarnish.
- This material is corrosion-proof.
- Gold on its own is a strong metal. Still, it becomes even more durable when combined with other materials.
- Gold-plated rings and other jewelry elevate your style thanks to their unique hue and shine.
- Jewelry made in gold always maintains its value no matter how old. It can be passed down to generations or even sold as an investment.
How Long Do Gold Plated Rings Last?
If you wonder how long gold-plated rings last, the answer isn’t that simple. Namely, gold plating, when made with love and care, can last you up to 6 years or more. This, of course, is a generalized answer that depends on multiple factors:
- Who produced the gold-plated rings or any other piece of jewelry?
- How big is the gold layer above the metal?
- The production process itself
- How often do you wear your gold-plated rings?
- What care do you undertake after wearing your gold-plated rings?
- Where you wear your gold-plated rings
Of course, gold offers a lot of durability and quality. Still, when wondering how long gold-plated rings last, it is essential to keep in mind that you can also contribute to the longevity of your jewelry.
The Difference Between Various Gold Finishes
When it comes to gold jewelry, there are different types of layering processes that affect the price but not necessarily the quality. Again, as we said, how long do gold-plated rings last, and the longevity of your jewelry in general also largely depends on how you take care of it.
Plated, filled, or solid gold, there are many types, and we understand how this can all get too confusing. To help you decide what to buy, we will try to make a short distinction between all.
With our expertise, we make jewelry last. Namely, at Agapé, we create jewelry with utmost care both for the designs and the environment. To make this delicate balance, we use recycled solid gold. This way, the gold plating does not cost us our precious Earth yet shines in all its glory.
This is why, when you wonder how long gold-plated rings last, we offer a two-year warranty that your rings won’t rub off or change color with proper use to show our confidence in our processes.
Agapé’s core value as jewelry-makers is the utmost quality and care for our customers. When creating our golden pieces, we like to make sure that there is longevity in every part of our jewelry. We ensure each element meets our standards, from closings to gems and precious stones to the gold plating and pearls. This way, you can enjoy your gold-plated rings for years to come.
Here are the most common gold-plating types of jewelry:
- Gold vermeil
- Solid gold
Gold plated rings offer the most value for your money. Potentially, a ring plated in gold can be even more valuable than gold vermeil. For instance, if a 20 or 22 karat weight of gold was used to layer the base materials in the process. This high gold karat weight ensures high quality while the metal underneath it strengthens the gold.
How to Make Your Gold-Plated Rings Last Longer?
If you are curious about how long gold-plated rings last, you should know that it largely depends on the maintenance, you apply after wearing them.
Cleaning of gold jewelry is essential whether it is solid or plated. However, more attention should be paid to plated jewelry since the golden layer on top of the metal base is thinner than jewelry made of solid gold, which is entirely gold alloy. Here is some advice on making your gold-plated jewelry last as long as possible:
- The first thing to do when you wonder how long gold-plated rings last is to get the habit of storing them somewhere safe. When you’re not wearing your gold-plated rings, keep them in a jewelry box or chest of drawers designed to store jewelry. This will prevent dust and dirt from accumulating and gold from being eaten away.
- Avoid contact with makeup, perfume or cologne, sunscreen, moisturizers, soap, detergent, and any other type of chemicals you come in contact with daily. These chemicals can react with the gilded layer and cause it to break down faster.
- Don't wear your gold-plated chains to the beach or pool. Indeed, you should not wear any jewelry on the beach or pool because saltwater and freshwater chemicals will react with your chains and turn that beautiful shiny gold into a shabby, dull piece.
- Always clean your gold-plated jewelry. Especially if your gold-plated rings were in contact with sweat or any of the chemicals mentioned above.
- To keep your pieces in top shape, you should clean each one once a week with soap and warm water. Then, we recommend deep cleaning once a month. During this time, you can leave your jewelry in the solution longer than usual and use a toothbrush to scrub hard-to-reach places. Remember to wipe the jewelry with a soft cloth to prevent damage.
All Gold, All the Time
Now that we have answered your question: "How long do gold plated rings last?" it’s time to pick your new favorite piece! Gold-plated rings and other jewelry can be an excellent investment for someone with a trim budget who still wants to look high-class.
Like the Zena or perhaps something more catchy like Doris, our rings are carefully crafted to provide you with high-quality jewelry in a variety of fresh designs that will make all your friends wonder where you got the latest addition to your sleek look.